Introducing Stephanie: The newest member of the Public Health Student Association as our Secretary.
- Where are you from? Where did you grow up?
I grew up in rural Southern Illinois
- What previous degrees and educational experiences have you earned?
Undergraduate degree in Biology from Illinois Wesleyan University
- What has been your favorite part about moving to Memphis and what has been the most difficult adjustment?
My favorite has definitely been the BBQ! The most difficult has been that initially, I didn’t know anyone when I moved here and that was challenging. But after meeting a few close friends through the program, that opened up so many new friendships and made the transition to a new town so much easier. After a few months Memphis felt much more like a small town!
- What got you interested in public health?
When I learned there was a solution that involved preventing chronic diseases instead of treating them after the fact.
- Why did you choose our MPH program?
Short answer? Shril Sharpe. Long Answer: Additionally, I was attracted to the Practicum project that was unique to the University of Memphis. It gives us the freedom to apply what we’re learning in the classroom and make a difference in the community that’s my new home.
- What do you like most about our School of Public Health?
How invested our professors are in helping us succeed. And being surrounded by so many motivated classmates and professors.
- What one public health change would you like to see in the Memphis area?
I have a special interest in the movement to reduce rates of obesity so I’d like to see efforts centering around food deserts. Personally, I’m excited to start my internship with Le Bonheur’s Obesity Clinic to contribute.
- How would you like to apply your MPH degree to your future goals and career?
My goal is to work as a family practice physician and I look forward to using my experience in public health to treat patients within the context of their community and social/work life.
- What are your hobbies/interests?
Anything outdoors, hiking, running, camping
- Name something on your “bucket list”
Visiting every MLB ballpark